Glide 3x for Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2k/XP version 3.10.00.2605
Contact : KoolSmoky
URL : http://www.ve3d.com/koolsmoky/
- Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2k/XP
What's in the distribution?
This distribution contains Glide 3.x driver for the 3dfx Voodoo Series
based on the 3.10.00.0658 3DFX GLIDE source code. The driver is CPU
optimized to use MMX and 3DNOW! instruction sets and should deliver
similar performance as the original 3dfx Interactive Inc's Glide driver
released before its demise. I have especially focused on eliminating
anomalies with Windows XP so that Glide 3.x and OpenGL applications
should work without system crashes. The driver has also been extended
to use DXTC textures. Environment variables a.k.a reg-tweaks are appliable
through the registry as usual.
This is a Glide 3.X only release. I may release the Glide 2.X part of the
drivers if this release goes well. Please send feedbacks regarding the
compatibility and performance of the driver. I am considering futher
performance optimizations as of now.
I'm currently working with the coder of GlideXP project, Colourless.
GlideXP project website: http://www.users.on.net/triforce/glidexp/
1)you can skip step 1) if you don't use winxp. winxp users must not
skip this step or you will not be able to use Glide or hardware
Install *win2k* drivers or 3rd party winxp drivers.
you can find them at http://www.voodoofiles.com
2)Backup your original copy of the glide3x.dll file.
3)copy glide3x.dll to the following directory.
Windows 9x/Me : /Windows/System
Windows NT4/2k : /Winnt/System32
Windows XP : /Windows/System32
Multi-Monitor under win2k/xp:
You may have problems running Glide on 3dfx devices other than the 1st.
To run Glide on the 2nd or 3rd device, disattach window's desktop from the
display device using the display properties. The current glide3x.dll will
detect and use the correct display registry path if you have multiple 3dfx
devices installed on your system. The original 3dfx glide3x.dll would always
bind the primary display's path, so besure to use the correct path. 3dfx tools
may be using incorrect paths as well.
Multi-Chip under win2k/xp:
If you use a multi-chip 3dfx device and Glide reports the wrong amount of
memory or does not detect SLI, try changing the PC's BIOS setting to comply
with the device's AGP or PCI version specs.
This driver is based on the 3.10.00.0658 3DFX GLIDE source code and is released
under the 3DFX GLIDE Source Code General Public License. Please refer to
glide_license.txt for more information. Distribution of this driver is granted
as long as you include this readme.txt.
Biggest thanks to 3dfx Interactive, Inc. and the developers for the 3dfx Glide
source code, and to VoodooExtreme for providing a fabulous place on the web.
Special thanks to hujer hoe for releasing the first working glide drivers for
winxp and to all hacking for a better winxp driver, you know who you are.
- remove escape calls
- add cpu optimizations possibly sse2
here are answers to the q's I receive frequently.
1) OpenGL ICD requires Glide3x. MiniGL requires Glide2x.
2) Install windows compatibility patch from microsoft.
winxp users should check
win2k users should check
3) Use win98/me compatibility mode for apps having problems in win2k/xp.
4) OpenGL ICD requires Glide3x. MiniGL requires *Glide2x*.
5) For OpenGL S3TC (DXTC) support, 1.0.0.0761 OpenGL ICD (1,102,096 bytes) is required. Legacy texture compression as in Q3A will compress to FXT1 on-the-fly and is not precompressed. UT 2nd CD textures are precompressed.
6) JediKnight2 if menus appear corrupt, add in this setting.
seta r_ext_texture_compression_s3tc "1"
seta r_ext_preferred_tc_method "1"
7) SeriousSam2 if game crashes, disable guardband clipping.
8) Medal of Honor Allied Assault use force 16bit texture to see in-game movies.
9) 3dfx Post-filtering which enables 22bpp-ish results when running in 16bpp mode
can be disabled by adding SSTH3_OVERLAYMODE -1(string) to the registry.
10) UnrealTournament if in openGL use the latest ut opengl renderer from epic
http://unreal.epicgames.com/. set UseS3TC=0 if you do *not* use s3tc. if you
use S3TC with ut's 2nd CD textures, do *not* force mipmap (lod) dithering and
set lodbais to -4 via regtweaks. for Win2k/xp Set win95 compatibility mode
to unrealtournament.exe. use the following in unrealtournament.ini.
11) there is no x2FSAA with EdgeAA. just x2FSAA with different LOD offests when used with mipmap dithering to reduce banding.
12) there is no trilinear filtering support when used with 3dfx/x3dfx OpenGL ICD. 1.0.0.0761 OpenGL ICD seems to let OpenGL trilinear calls path through but outputs bilinear. therefore in Q3A, even if you set trilinear in-game the result will be bilinear. enabling force mipmap dithering via driver tool will not turn on trilinear, it will be bilinear with mipmap dithering. Trilinear is possible if the voodoo hardware is setup in a special way, but this has to be done outside glide3x.dll right now. In a true trilinear state, glide3x automatically omits mipmap dithering.
13) I have tried my best to keep compatibility with win95/98/me/nt4/2k/xp, however tests are mainly done with win2k/xp. the regtweak unreadable bug in win9x/me is fixed now.
14) Although the changes in Glide3x may affect HSR performance in OpenGL, I haven't really focused on the issue, so don't get upset if HSR doesn't improve for you with the current ICD.
15) GLExcess, this ain't a game but for the ogl demo fans, the app will crash at first run, kill with taskmanager and rerun it. it'll run fine after that.
16) to play Quake3 engine based games with texture compression, add these lines
seta r_ext_compress_textures "1"
seta r_ext_compressed_textures "1"
seta r_ext_texture_compression_s3tc "1"
seta r_ext_s3tc "1"
and enable legacy texture compression (fxt1 compression for voodoo4/5) in driver tool. most games with the Q3 engine will use realtime (on-the-fly) compression.
17) If you have problems running OpenGL apps, search for 3dfxogl.dll in the windows system directory and copy the file to the apps' directory and rename it to opengl32.dll.
18) If you have Z-buffer Clear errors in OpenGL, set OpenGL z-precision to normal or fast in the driver tools. you can also do this by setting string 0 or 1 for FX_GL_16BPP_ZPRECISION and FX_GL_32BPP_ZPRECISION.
less problems with windows hotkeys.
fixed bug with mipmap download.
fixed OpenGL UnrealTournament hang on exit in win9x/me.
fixed regtweaks not working under win9x/me.
revised texture handling.
Paving way for multimonitor support. Retrieves the correct display path now.
Buggy but tries to render to the correct device.
Support for precompressed S3TC textures. UnrealTournament 2nd CD textures and
SeriousSam2 will work with S3TC enabled.
Fixes for Diablo2. Diablo2 will now run correctly in Glide.
Eliminates pinkish screens.
Colourless's subsample lod dithering trilinear approximation for Voodoo5. Use
FX_GLIDE_LOD_SUBSAMPLE_DITHER 1(string) to enable, 0 to disable. Default enabled.
Slightly modified settings to reduce banding when used with mipmap (lod) dithering.
Subsample lod dithering trilinear approximation will work when running in fsaa
Colourless's fix to prevent crashing from screen mode changes.
Colourless's 4chip AA offsets for Voodoo5 6000.
Faster screen restores in winxp.
Stopped crashing when window is resized in winxp.
First Public release
Second private release.
First private release.
Stopped hanging when task switching from FullScreen in WinXP.
Stopped Glide3x from hanging when exiting from fullscreen OpenGL.
Fixed Glide3x crashing on startup in WinXP.
Glide3x compiled with CPU optimizations.
Begin to compile Glide3x for the Microsoft Windows Platform.
Windows XP launch. Glide crashes on startup in WinXP :(